The first game of the 2012-2013 season for Manhattan basketball will be in Louisville on November 11 against AP Preseason 2nd ranked Louisville. Expectations are that this year's Jaspers team can match last year's. They keep a group that played 77% of last season's minutes and will look to make up the rest with the contributions of five incoming freshmen.
Manhattan will see the largest deficiency on offense, where the team lost 41.3% of their three-point shooting. That's followed by assists, where they lost 22.4% of last season's numbers.
Last season, Manhattan put up a final overall record of 20-11, placing 3rd in the MAAC with their 12-6 conference record. The Jaspers went on to the MAAC tournament where they lost to Siena, 84-82. Manhattan will feel the loss of last year's seniors Kidani Brutus (26 minutes per game), Liam McCabe-Moran (15 MPG), and Djibril Coulibaly (2 MPG). The Jaspers will also go without Kevin Laue (3 MPG), Torgrim Sommerfeldt (2 MPG), DeCarlos Anderson (2 MPG), and Chris Viven (1 MPG), who left the team.
The Jaspers retain senior George Beamon (19.0 points/game), junior Michael Alvarado (3.2 assists/game), sophomore Emmy Andujar (3.2 assists/game), junior Rhamel Brown (2.5 blocked shots/game), and Roberto Colonette (6.3 points/game).
Incoming freshmen include 6-5 Shane Richards, 6-0 CJ Jones, 6-2 Sky Williams, 6-10 Adam Lacey, and 6-4 Paul Bayt. The team also gets 5-11 sophomore RaShawn Stores, 6-3 sophomore Mark Jackson Jr. (transferred from Louisville), and 6-10 sophomore Ashton Pankey (transferred from Maryland).
The Jaspers have one game on the schedule against an AP preseason Top 25 team, at #2 Louisville on November 11th. Manhattan will begin MAAC play on December 7th at Marist.
Tags: Kidani Brutus
- Since 2002, Manhattan has an overall winning percentage of 52.5%.
- The Jaspers have an average conference finish of 6.6 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 5.1.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 173.4.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Louisville (#10).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Canisius (#333).
- The last time Manhattan returned more than 80% of the team's statistical production was 2008-2009.
, Liam McCabe-Moran
, Djibril Coulibaly
, Kevin Laue
, Torgrim Sommerfeldt
, DeCarlos Anderson
, Chris Viven
, George Beamon
, Michael Alvarado
, Emmy Andujar
, Rhamel Brown
, Roberto Colonette
, Shane Richards
, CJ Jones
, Sky Williams
, Adam Lacey
, Paul Bayt
, RaShawn Stores
, Mark Jackson Jr.
, Ashton Pankey